Yellow at the beach .:. Kelly Anorak
I took some unintended and unplanned time off on my blog… it’s been month since I last blogged. I somehow lost the motivation and was wondering why I do it (less and less people are reading blogs), Instagram isn’t helping with the motivation, too. The always changing algotythm, too much advertisement and too many videos. I lost interest… but I never lost the interest in sewing and since last year I knit, too.
So today I’m making a new start and will try to post more regularly.
Ever since the Kelly Anorak was released, I wanted to make it… remember way back when Closet Core Patterns was named Closet Case??? I had it in my pattern stash forever…
I’m able to sew in zippers in skirts, dresses and trousers, but on jackets and coats I prefer buttons. So it was new to me to install this kind of zipper.
The fabric is waterproof and made of cotton (between the two layers of cotton is some kind of rubber (?) to make the fabric waterproof). I wasn’t sure how my sewing machine would handle this fabric and sewing a few layers of it, but all went smooth. Usually a lot of sewing instructions suggest a sturdy needle (i.e. for Jeans fabrics), but I used a fine one (60) and I made the experience a thinner needle in my sewing machine on densly woven fabrics makes better stitches.
Alterations on the pattern: a lot!
I made a few Closet Core patterns before and chose my usual size 18 and made a muslin… too tight. I was very surprised, because I never had this issue before on Closet Core Patterns. Well, I sized up and made a few changes I always need to do (full bust adjustemnt, lengthend the arms). Two days of paper pattern alteration and three muslins later I had a good fit… (insert eyeroll here).
For the lining I used striped jersey, because I had a very similar Anorak before (long time reader might remember) and I wanted this style of Anorak. Since my old one was damaged and the yellow got dirty, I pulled out the cord and the cord stopper and reused them for my Kelly Anorak. The labels are from Kylie and the Machine and I love them.
All in all I’m very happy and proud of this Anorak and wore it a lot in spring (German April showers…) and around Easter at the Baltic Sea.
But after this pattern alteration marathon I went straight back to my tried and true patterns (Grasser and Vikisews), since I just need to make minor adjustments on these.
Besides sewing I also knitted a lot. I started knitting last winter and I already made a few sweaters (yes, a FEW)… I will show one of them next Monday and hope to see you again here.
Have a great week.